Strep Throat Treatment Clinic Q&A
Doc-Aid Urgent Care in Laredo, TX is an urgent care clinic that offers convenient walk-inÂ appointments. If you or your loved one is experiencing strep throat symptoms, our physicians can provide a quick and accurate diagnosis. An important step in strep throat prevention is first educating yourself on the infection in order to prepare yourself. We have convenient locations to serve you. For more information, pleaseÂ call usÂ or simply walk in!
Table of Contents:
We use our throats every minute of the day, from breathing and talking to drinking and eating. Most of the time, we are not aware of its functions because it works seamlessly in the background. However, if the throat is subjected to an infection, it can become scratchy, painful and become difficult to talk. There are several types of infection that can cause a sore throat, the most common being a viral infection (pharyngitis). One of the most uncomfortable causes of sore throat is strep throat, which is caused by the group A streptococcus bacterium. It can cause a scratchy throat, difficulty speaking in a normal voice, swollen tonsils and a fever. It can be treated with antibiotics.
Strep throat, which is a type of acute pharyngitis, is a bacterial infection that causes a dry, scratchy throat and hoarse voice. It is caused by group AÂ StreptococcusÂ (or group AÂ strep) and is also known as StreptococcusÂ pyogenes. The symptoms of strep throat include:
– Throat pain that usually comes on quickly
– Painful swallowing
– Red and swollen tonsils
– Tiny red spots on the back of the throat or roof of the mouth (soft or hard palate)
– Swollen, tender lymph nodes in the neck
– Nausea or vomiting, especially in younger children
– Body aches
The time it takes to recover from strep throat is unique to each patient and depends on a number of different factors, such as:
– Their age
– Their overall health
– The treatments used
– Individual metabolism
Based on these factors, the recovery time for strep throat can range from three to seven days, with or without antibiotic treatment. In severe cases, especially if another type of infection is present, symptoms can last much longer, even over a month in some cases.
Signs and symptoms of strep throat are very similar to an ordinary sore throat, however they have different causes, symptoms and recovery times. AÂ sore throatÂ can be caused by allergens, like pollen and dust or even food, or sometimes infections caused by viruses or bacteria.Â The most common cause of a sore throat is a viral infection, which would not respond to a course of antibiotics.
Symptoms of a viral infection include:
– A swollen, scratchy throat and tonsils
– Moderate fever
– Moderate rash
– Lump on neck (caused by swollen glands)
– Runny nose
– Cough or common cold
– Difficulty breathing
Signs and symptoms of strep throat include:
– White patches on tonsils or back of throat
– Sore throatÂ withoutÂ cough or cold symptoms
– Swollen lymph nodes (right below the earlobes)
– Red and swollen tonsils (may or may not have white patches or streaks)
– Tiny red spots on roof of mouth
– Difficulty swallowing or breathing
– Ear infections
– Nausea orÂ vomiting
– An extreme rash,Â known as Scarlet Fever
– Rheumatic fever
Strep throat on its own is typically not serious and can be treated with the use of antibiotics. However, if left untreated, strep throat can develop into severe complications, including:
– Rheumatic fever
– Otitis media(which can occur if the infection spreads to theÂ middle ear)
– MeningitisÂ (which can occurs if the infection spreads to the lining of brain and spinal canal)
– Pneumonia(lung infection)
– Toxic shock syndromeÂ (which can occur if the infection spreads to the rest of the body, potentially resulting in organ failure)
– Abscess formation around tonsilsÂ and behind throat
If you are experiencing the signs and symptoms of strep throat, it is vital to receive professional medical care. When treated, strep throat can make a quick and full recovery, but if left for too long, can develop into dangerous complications.
The treatment for strep throat typically involves antibiotics, although patientsâ€™ needs may vary. In some cases, drinking apple cider vinegar may be recommended as its antibacterial properties can help to clear the infection.
For professional strep throat care that you can trust, come to Doc-Aid in Laredo, TX. Our kind and compassionate professionals are experienced in treating strep throat and can have you feeling better, sooner. Call us today or book an online appointment. We have convenient locations to serve you in Laredo, TX. Our office is open everyday of the week from 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM. We serve patients from Laredo TX, Ranchos Penitas West TX, Islitas TX, Botines TX, Nye TX, and Webb TX. Looking forward to serve you!
ADDITIONAL SERVICES YOU MAY NEED